Monday, February 19, 2007

BC2: GOOD NEWS FOR ALL

According to Baltimore Catechism #2 salvation is available to everyone. This is important for framing Jahweh as an egalitarian. Predestination and the “select” and all that junk is just ruling class shittiness and I salute RCism for rejecting it.

I’m a gay anti-religionist. Tribal religions, as Deepak Chopra says, are vestigial. Like appendices in humans, they serve no useful purpose and can only cause trouble.

I specifically reject the pope and his pomp. No man is infallible whether sitting on the toilet or sitting on his cathedra. Jesus didn’t wear silk.

I find Catholic theology to be nonsense.

Yet, I am completely qualified to enter into the presence of God (actually I’m already there), and to enjoy life everlasting in heaven. How can this be, when membership in the Catholic Church is a necessary condition of salvation? BC2 #168 is my get-out-of-jail-free card.
168. How can persons who are not members of the Catholic Church be saved?

Persons who are not members of the Catholic Church can be saved if, through no fault of their own, they do not know that the Catholic Church is the true Church, but they love God and try to do His will, for in this way they are connected with the Church by desire.

I meet the three criteria:

1) I do not know that the Catholic Church is the true Church. And it’s not my fault. I have spent much honest effort examining the issue and have determined that in fact the Catholic Church is NOT the true Church. This conclusion is as real and true for me as the opposite conclusion is for loyal RCs. 2) I love God, which I have determined to be mineral existence. 3) I always try to seek the greatest happiness for myself and others, based on my faith in mineral existence.

It seems like it’s easier for a non-Catholic to achieve salvation than for a practicing Catholic. We non-Catholics just have to sort of love God and try to do good. It’s almost like a sliding scale.

Believing Catholics have all sorts of commandments and rules that act as hurdles to salvation. For instance, it’s a mortal sin for a Catholic to miss Sunday mass just because he’d rather sleep in or go shopping. For me, not a problem.

Or sex. I truly believe that being gay is ok. I truly believe that gay sex is a great context in which we can know love and serve God. So I can have all the sex I want, of course treating everyone ethically, whereas Catholic gay people have to refrain from gay sex altogether in order to get into heaven.

This loophole is available to all current Catholics. Do you really “know” that the Catholic Church is the true Church? If not, you’re free to leave.

What a great God!

----- o -----

No comments: